Friday, July 6, 2012

Shuk shopping, part 1

Why is it I get questions and dirty looks over my infant stroller at the Shuk?

Everyone rolls around these carts to carry groceries home from the Shuk.  They are big, but mostly roll on 2 wheels.  We have one here at the apartment.  It is a 4-wheeler and the 2 primary legs are angled in to the point of breaking at any moment - so we don't use it and frankly, I don't want to buy a new one.  So, I usually take my empty infant stroller grocery shopping and fill it up to the brim.

Every time, I am asked by some bystander, "Where is the baby?"  They don't seem like they are joking or trying to be sarcastic.  They seem truly mystified over my choice of grocery carts.  I even get dirty looks and waves of frustration over my cute red stroller.  Today, I not only got the two-handed shrug, but also a double air-slap!  What does that even mean?  So I've taken out a few toe nails here and there or perhaps scratched a few heels, but do I really deserve to be shunned for my innovation?  My cart is pushed in front of me, theirs is pulled from behind.  Are we really so different?  Can't we all just get along?!



3 comments:

  1. I love that you are a trend setter! You just go with it. I say you are being creative with what you have. They will catch on and be doing it soon.
    I miss you my friend!
    Shalom,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be fierce at HEB when you get home :)

    ReplyDelete