Saturday, July 7, 2012

For mature audiences only . . .

Forgive this post, but I am still giggling and must share to get it out of my system . . .

I'm shopping by myself in the Shuk this morning.  It is Friday which means it is busier than normal as patrons shop in preparation for Sabbath.  Vendors are doing their normal shout out about their goods and prices.  All very lively.

As I make my way up the row, I start hearing a peculiar call.  "Va-gin-a, va-gin-a!"  Over and over again, "Va-gin-a, va-gin-a!"  I start snickering wondering what exactly he is saying in Hebrew and wondering if he has any idea what it sounds like in English.  His next cry out sounds like, "Why, why, why?!  Why, why, why?"

As he comes into full view I recognize he is selling delicious looking green grapes.  I default to my Spanish brain "La Vina, la vina?"  Fruit from the vine?  Vi - Buy?  I decide I have to buy some of the grapes from the man whose expense I'm taking such silly fun.

Hey - these can't be all deeply reflective and meaningful posts, now can they?!  I couldn't stop laughing the entire time I shopped as I heard him in the background like a tortured  soul shouting over and over again - "Va-gin-a, va-gin-a, why, why, why?!"  


7 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! Good thing you know some spanish. I wouldn't have had a clue. I'm so glad you shared, that made me laugh. The grapes look good! You have got that shopping thing down. Good job!
    Love and miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me giggle. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me giggle. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ridiculously funny!!! We miss you but love sharing in your adventures vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahahaha!!!! I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why we love you and Scott! Not afraid to share a hilarious story like this... Why?! Why?! Why?!

    -Jacob

    ReplyDelete