Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Headed to Eilat

I had a quiet moment of gratitude today driving home to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv.  Emily and I had just dropped mom off at the airport and she was snoozing in the backseat.  It was still early in the morning and the sun was just beginning to stream down onto the hills.

It is a beautiful thing to ascend to the city of Jerusalem.  To the East of the city is dessert.  To the West and North are plains of farmland.  So, entering from any direction, the geography shifts to hills, tall green trees, gans cut into mountains and energetic life.  The land feels promising and hopeful.  

I am more and more appreciating our time here - driving a car blowing AC may have helped to induce this sweet, reflective moment!  I think it is because we have figured out the basics of living here and feel more comfortable just being.  It's kind of funny, but we are asked by Israeli's and other tourists for directions here more and more.  We must even be looking like we are fitting in!  Kids have settled down too and we are finding a good rhythm with each other.   

Tomorrow starts the final leg of our time here.  Vacation!  With Scott's classes behind him, we now get to leave Jerusalem a bit more frequently and see more of the country.  We leave for Eilat tomorrow.  Eilat is in Southern Israel near the border of Egypt.  Scott and I have driven thru the port city before - absolutely beautiful!  We are staying at a family-friendly hotel with pools, restaurants and fun - all there.  Which is great, because it is going to be warm - projected 115 degrees and we will need to stay close to the water.  

Promise to post lots of picts soon.  We are off!  

3 comments:

  1. I am home and will never forget my wonderful trip to Jerusalem to see my family and ALL my special tour guides(Ryan, Emily, Scott and Cathi). Each place you took me individually will always be special because you shared your love and heart with me. There was a story to be told where ever we went together. I hope you ALL will always have special memories of Jerusalem and being able to show your Grandma the historical sites. You were all great and even IF Emily and I went thorough the Damascus Gate together (alone) it was a great day because two American women went and conquered the unknown and was victorious. And of course my two little guys, Ethan and Kylen. Loved you loving me and just being there to share your day. I am so glad you love my oatmeal and only wish I had brought another box of oats just for the two of you. Ethan having your 5th birthday in Israel, a treasure for life. Thanks again for all your love and memories...Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Thankful for peace and the gentle realization that community and family can be done anywhere as long as we're willing and give each other grace. You've taught me so much Cathi :)

    ReplyDelete