Friday, August 10, 2012

Lasts & Lessons

We are only 5 days out from our return home.  The good-byes have started as have our "last" this or that while on this side of the ocean.

While it has been challenging at times, we've become quite attached to new friends and this place we've called home.

It won't be easy to lock the door and walk away.

Yesterday we had a final picnic with our new friends the Kramer's .  Cathy and I became good and quick friends as did our daughters, Emily and Petra.  We are encouraging the girls to be pen-pals.  Then last night we had to say goodbye to James,  Rachel's husband.  He is an amazingly brilliant and remarkable man.  He's fascinating and fun to be around.  Our families would continue to hang out if we could.  We are already working on bringing everyone over to Texas and James is up for it as he's interested in opening a Mexican food restaurant in the Shuk.  That, we would come back for!

One wise friend told us that people often mistakenly believe they will come over here for some great spiritual experience.  I think we came here with that same notion.  Scott and I had certainly experienced that on our 2 week study tours.

However, Jerusalem is full of tangible tension.  It is a gritty, raw and challenging place to live.  Among many other things, it is the center of 3 major world religions.  Seeing everyone so passionately devoted to their path, forces you to examine yours.

I've never had to give account for my faith the way I have here, meaning I've never had to explain it in words not commonly understood.  I didn't realize how very much the Christian community shares a language when talking about experiences and faith.  It was good for me to realize that some things I could easily explain and other things I could not - whether for lack of vocabulary, knowledge or experience.

God is deep and rich here.  I do not doubt for a minute that all of us are earnestly pursuing God.



1 comment:

  1. Michelle and I remember experiencing some very similar emotions, but not being able to describe them so eloquently. You have a gift for words and it has been a great privilege to read your blog. God's blessings to you all in your final week. Praying Psalm 92 for you today. Shabbat Shalom!
    Love from CA,
    Tim & Michelle

    ReplyDelete