Saturday, June 16, 2012

"Merica" n Bomb Shelters

As I am putting Kylen down for a much needed nap, he is crying out, "Merica, merica."  I'm sure our neighbors are thinking he is crying out for home, America, as thats how Israeli's refer to the States.  But he's not.  He's missing his Captain America action figure.  I don't remember if it made it into the suitcases or not.  Praying we find it under a bed somewhere today.

Night before last, I was kind of crying out the same thing.  Something I ate sat wrong with me and I was sick.  Outside our windows that face into a street, neighbors were finishing up a block party of some sort and shifting cars around to be able to get out.  Horns and shouts of directions were already interrupting my sleep.  So I flop over to the other side of our room.  There we have windows facing the courtyard.  I think we have a neighbor that works late, because they don't turn off the porch sun (light) until around 4am.  We are going to have to find some dark material to hang up on that side of the room!

I was up sick until around 6 when I remembered we brought some Zofran for the kids - yes, I stole my kids Zofran.  Then Scott had the brilliant idea to send me up to the bomb shelter for some proper sleep.

The bomb shelter for this apartment, aka Emily's room, has a regular door and then a large metal one that keeps out most noise and all the light.  There is a good size window as well which we initially thought defeated the point of the door.  Then we saw from the outside one day, the large metal door that you can reach out, grab and swing close.  We chose not to knock the screen out and close the window, but instead hung a dark blanket over it.  I have never been so happy for a quiet, dark and cold bedroom.  Emily may just have two more roommates from now on.

So from Israel to Merica, make sure to enjoy your comforts of home today.

1 comment:

  1. :( Sorry you are sick Cathi but happy you found some solace in the midst of your search for it.

    It's pretty hot here in old SA. No rain yet. Not at our house anyway. 90's+ same ol' same ol'.

    Love reading your blog. I think and pray for you all often and the blog has made it so fun to walk along with you all. I look everyday. (retired and kids all grown up) :)

    See you in the blog world tomorrow or whenever you are up to it.

    Happy Father's Day Scott.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete